Anantnag District is in southern sector of Jehlum
Valley. It is because of its rejuvenating climate,
the inspiring majesty, its lofty mountains, the
melodious flow of sweet waters of its springs and
sreams, fertile soil, fragrant flowers and
delicious fruits that the district has come to be
synonymous with greatness.
Geographically the district lies between 33o-20'
to 34o-15' north latitude and 74o-30' to 75o-35'
east longitude. The entire Southern sector of the
district, which is contiguous with tehsils of
Reasi, Banihal and Kishtwar of Jammu province, and
Eastern sector which is contiguous with tehsil
Kargil of Ladakh division comprises of thick
forests and mountains. The Northern and Western
sides of this district are bounded by Pulwama
district while Kulgam district falls in its west.
Of all the districts of the state, Anantnag claims
the largest number of streams (Nallas) like
Sandran, Brengi, Arpath and Lidder. The most
important among these is Lidder which takes of
from Sheshnag lake and irrigate maximum area of
area of the district after carving out district
Kulgam in year 2007 stood at 2917 Sq. Kms, which
constitutes about 1.31% of the total area of Jammu
& Kashmir state. As per Census 2011, the
population of the district is 10.70 lac with 5.52
lac Males and 5.17 lac Females.
per the report of Revenue authorities, the
district consists of 605 Villages having 01
Municipal Council and 10 Municipal Committees.
There are Six Tehsils Viz. Anantnag, Bijbehara,
Dooru, Shangus, Kokernag and Pahalgam which have
further ben sub divied into 16 Nayabats (Land
Revenue Circles) and 96 Patwar halqas. These
villages have also ben divided into 07 Comunity
Development Blocks Viz. Achabal, Breng, Dachnipora,
Khoveripora, Qazigund, Shahabad and Shangus. For
Law & Order purposes there are 09 Police Stations
and 06 Police Posts in the district.
Owing to proximity of Peer Panchal Range, which
stretches in its South and South-East, the
district has a more temperate climate in sumer
than other districts of the Valley. In winter,
however, snowfall is heavier and temperature is
relatively low. Being engulfed on two sides by
mountains, the moonsoon does not generally reach
the district. The rainfall is often excessive in
Spring, moderate in Summer, deficient in Autumn
and moderate in Winter.
The name of Anantnag
District according to a well known archaeologist,
Sir A.Stein from the great spring Ananta Naga
issuing at the southern end of the town. This is
also corroborated by almost all local historians
including Kalhana according to whom the town has
taken the name of this great spring of Cesha or
Ananta Naga "land of countless springs". The
spring is mentioned in the Neelmat Purana as a
sacred place for the Hindus and Koshur
Encyclopedia testifies it.
The district as well as its headquarter town are
also called Islamabad. Regarding this second name
no mention is to be found in the old chronicles of
Kashmir. It is however, said that the name of
Islamabad was assigned to the town by one Islam
Khan who was the Governor of Kashmir during the
Mughal rule in 1663 A.D., but the change in its
nomenclature proved temporary and during the reign
of Gulab Singh the town as well as district again
resumed their old name, Anantnag, but stillbut
still the name Islamabad is Popular among common
masses, though officially the name Anantnag is
Before the advent of Muslim rule in 1320 A.D.,
Kashmir was divided into three divisions, viz;
Maraz in the south, Yamraj in the centre and
Kamraj in the north of the Valley. Old chronicles
reveal that the division was the culmination of
the rift Marhan and Kaman, the two brothers, over
the crown of their father. The part of the valley
which lies between Pir Panjal and Srinagar now
called the Anantnag was given to Marhan and named
after him as Maraj. While Srinagar is no longer
known as Yamraj, the area to its north and south
are still called Kamraz and Maraz respectively.
Lawrence in his book "The Valley of Kashmir"
states that these divisions were later on divided
into thirty four sub-divisions which after 1871
were again reduced to five Zilas or districts.